Thursday 12 November 2009

toys to sew


It's got to the time of year where I pull out all my books and search through looking for ideas for children's Christmas presents. One of my favourites is Toys to Sew by Claire Garland. It's got some great toys of varying levels of difficulty. The felt toys are fairly simple but look really good but my favourite has to be the basic doll, and then all the clothes you can make to go in her wadrobe. And there is a boy's version, the jolly pirate.

I made the doll for our little girl's birthday present last year, along with frilly undies, pyjamas and a dressing gown, (this is the book I plan to use when I sit down to make doll's clothes with our little girl and her new sewing machine). I bought a cheap toy bed from Ikea which I painted and then covered the bedding supplied by Ikea with a nice linen, appliqued with a butterfly to match the pyjamas.

ok, I know the eyes are a bit odd, but that just adds to the character!

1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous doll and clothes you made. You will have that wardrobe bursting at the seems in no time! I can't wait to see more of what you have made.

    I used to spend hours as a child designing and making clothes for my Cindy and my mother made a wedding dress for her one Christmas. Such wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete