Wednesday 23 June 2010

gooseberry curd


Since everything is growing so well at the moment I thought I should clear the freezer of any remaining bags of fruit from last Summer to make room for this years batches. Rather like Rhubarb I love the sour taste of gooseberries, I really love it with custard, but I've also found this wonderful recipe for gooseberry curd. It tastes delicious served with clotted cream on freshly baked scones with a nice cup of Earl Grey (and a good book).

Recipe:
for 2 jars

500g gooseberries
2 tbsp water
125 g caster sugar
50g unsalted butter
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk

Place gooseberries in a pan with water, cover and cook at a medium temperature until really squidgy. Pass this through a sieve to make a puree.

Put puree in a clean pan at a low temperature and add butter, sugar, eggs and egg yolk and stir constantly until the mixture thickens

Pour into jars and cover the surface with cling film to stop a skin forming. Once cool remove cling film and add lids.

Chill until needed, lasts in the fridge about 3 weeks

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this before. I am going to to make both lemon curd and passionfruit curd today. Just as soon as I've finished my cuppa:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until I have full grown gooseberry bushes so I can make this.

    ReplyDelete