Wednesday 24 June 2009

tobacconist farm shop

Last week I went shopping with my parents to a farm shop in their village which they have been positively raving about. We took the vhildren and the lovely owner Lucy gave them a tour of the animals and let them in the pig pen to see an enormous mummy gloucester old spot. It was really great and the children are despreate to go back. Anyway as a fan of the whole shop local thing, I thought Lucy deserves a big plug for what shes doing and I think she is going to be Gloucestershires answer to H F-W, only more glamorous!!
So heres a little about what you can get from down on the farm from Lucy!
Plants start from 50p and I have herbs, lettuce (many sorts), brassicas, french beans, tomatoes including cascading ones for hanging baskets and more. I have new peas, sweetcorn and late runners coming through in a couple of weeks for those that like to fill gaps or succession plant. I have beef, frozen! venison burgers and sausages for the weekend. I now also stock Cotswold Charcoal, which is produced from the wood clearing at the Arboretum, Westonbirt (brilliant for B-B-Q's). I will have free range corn fed chickens available at the end of the month. I always have eggs. The new season flowing plants (late Summer/Autumn) will be ready mid July. I will stock some sauces and Chutney's made by a girl called Bonnie from Cirencester, Days apple juice (friends of my sisters), sowing/harvesting charts, seeds and some great aprons/teatowels made by a friend www.pintuck.co.uk, oh and vegetables, from us and other local producers. The web site is under construction, we have a holding page at www.tobacconistfarm.co.uk which has map details. Contact details are 01453 883534 or better mobile 07854 750473 email, lucy or info @tobacconistfarm.co.uk.

I bought a dozen of the most delicious fresh free range eggs, a couple of frozen wild ducks and a piece of scrummy brisket which I pot roasted for 4 hours with an onion a sprig of thyme a glass of water and a glass of wine 120 degrees, it was so delicious - why don't we cook more of the cheaper cuts more often I wonder. Cooking brisket this way makes the most fab gravy and I am rather ashamed to say we scoffed 12 enormous yorkshires between 2 adults 1 child and a toddler - its no wonder I can't lose weight is it!!
Anyway I would like to encourage any local readers to head over and support Lucy in her new venture.

,
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment