Saturday 22 August 2009

beside the seaside 1

we have just returned from a fabulous few days on the beautiful Gower Peninsular in Wales. It is a relatively wild and untouched stretch of coast and has been designated an area of outstanding natural beauty, so there is very little development there.What I particularly loved was that virtually all of the beaches are only accessible on foot, so they were quite empty as the large and lazy were deterred from parking their windbreaks and chairs. Three cliffs bay, above is quite difficult to access and the walk back up isn't for the feint hearted, but I love beaches that you have to work a little to get to. Anyway I had seen pictures of Rhossilli bay on the visit wales ad, but I had never expected it to be as beautiful as it is. On a hot and sunny august day there were barely 100 people there. Fantastic surf for the kids too.

we stayed at the YHA in Port Eynon which was wonderful, an old lifeboat station right on the beach, but I have to admit I don't think hostelling is for me as I didn't like being in a bunk bed - ok if you are 9 not so great if you are 39 and can't reach to poke the snoring husband (grrrr!!)
I think when we go aagin we will stay at one of the great campsites from the cool camping wales book.

No comments:

Post a Comment